Monday, October 26, 2009

It Sucks, Sucks So Good.

Greetings and salutations from rainy, miserable Houston! I'm fresh off a trip to New York City, which happened to coincide with the ever-so-indie CMJ Music Festival. NO, I did not get to see any shows (and I RSVP'ed to about 50, including a party with Almighty Defenders and Neon Indian :-\ ), and YES, I was tempted to wander the subways alone when my friends were 'too tired.' Geesh I'm not asking for sex here people! Anyways, moving on...

A while back I downloaded the first single off of Vampire Weekend's upcoming album Contra (due out next January, by the way) entitled "Horchata." I like it! It's very characteristic of the band, with a happy-go-lucky vibe that lends itself well to the xylophones and other crazy instruments used in the track. Speaking of crazy things, I had to look up what a balaclava was, because I was having these images of tasty mediterrranean pastries popping into my head. Not a bad thing, but I digress. So I looked it up, and Ezra Koenig is correct. It's absolutely psychotic that one article of clothing can be worn in so many ways! I must have one! So versatile!

So after listening to the song a bazillion times, I wandered to myself- "Don't I have Vampire Weekend's first album too?!" And I did, and I listened, and we all lived happily ever.




************************************************************************************

Check out "Aluminum Baseball Bat" by Howlies. It's a throwback to old speak-song doowop, while keeping other elements more up-to-date. This band chooses lyrics like "...cocaine hits..." to harmonize. On top of that, the entire song is basically a threat ("whoa oooh oooh ohhhhh I've got an aluminum, baseball baaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAt!"). The whole concept is a clash of style and content, which amuses and entertains me. And isn't that what music is supposed to do? I think I'll listen to it again and think about my ex, mwahaha. I'm just kidding! (or am I?)



Next blog will be about Julian Casablancas' album Phrazes for the Young, which FINALLY leaked!

No comments:

Post a Comment