Sunday, September 20, 2009

I'm a Hi-Fi Goon...

Short post tonight, because I am le tired. So, I've recently been playing the album Creaturesque by Throw Me the Statue. It's more poppy than a lot of the stuff I listen to, but I'm pretty forgiving and patient in letting music grow on me. That being said, I was kinda disappointed. It's one of those albums that you can play in the car on a long drive, simply for the sake of having background noise. Nothing really stands out here, nothing to make you slap your cheeks and go Macauly Caulkin on your stereo.

Now, I really like the song "Hi-Fi Goon," but that could just be because I always pay attention when I hear it. Why do I do that, you ask? Because the title is strange, which made me want to know the lyrics, which I haven't found ANYWHERE. Grrrr, so frustrating, I'm the worst at figuring out song lyrics! Case in point, you give me a Pearl Jam song to decipher, I'll give you a bunch of growls and guttural noises. Oh wait, that's everyone (disclaimer: I like Pearl Jam, most of the time). Poor example. I'm too tired to think of another.


*Disclaimer: Bitchy Moment Alert*

Can someone please tell the Friendly Fires that gym whistles are NOT to be used as a musical instrument? Please? It was cool in Space Jam (cut me some slack, I was like eleven when that movie came out), but we are not trying to bring back Jock Jams. Ever. I can tolerate your incessant bongo-ing, but I'd rather you use the sound of my head making contact with a wall over and over again than that whistle. I can send the sample now so you can fix "Jump in the Pool." I'll post it on your myspace.

*Attention: The Bitchy Moment has subsided*

Other than that complaint, the Friendly Fires self-titled album is a nice effort, chock full of electronica goodness, tinged with a bit of 80s and those lovely British voices. I love it when a foreign band actually sounds foreign! Granted, Phoenix is one of my favorite bands, but did YOU know they were French right off the bat? Didn't think so...


Hmmm, maybe not such a short post tonight after all. What can I say, I've got the perseverance and determination to blog all night long, if that's what it takes to spread the word on good tunage. Cue the Chariots of Fire music, please.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you used "le tired". I am the person who says "le" in front of everything. Valerie does not find it funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Should I start saying it in front of her? Maybe then she'll just resign herself to laughter.

    ReplyDelete